Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Instead of pitching this painting in the round bin, I decided to learn from it and keep painting. The painting was posted at paintingfriends.com and they suggested adding darks and maybe a few more blooms. I took their suggestions to heart and did just that after I soaked areas of the painting and removed loads of paint. Next, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser was used to lift some of the staining colors (reds and purples). From there I decided where I wanted some of the flowers than began to paint the leaves. I was trying to make sure to vary the colors as well as color temperatures (warm/cool). Another point to be made here is that I didn't go back to the photo - I just painted what I felt was needed and tried to create interesting shapes, sizes and variations. The last thing I did was to use small areas of darks to help connect the darks from side to side around the area of the main two flowers and in a few other areas to create a bit more interest.
The 1st photo above is the original photo of the painting taken in front of an East window. It has too much of a blue cast and looked lighter than the painting looks under normal lighting so I took it into Photoshop. I did a remove color cast so that the greens in the bigger leaves would reflect the warm tones. Then I adjusted the blue by desaturating it a bit and darkening the value of the blue. My camera takes bright photos so then I had to desaturate the whole photo an actually darkened the light, dark and medium values one or two clicks. The changes are quiet minute but they did make a difference and at least looks a bit more like the painting. Oh, the magic of Photoshop.
I may even decide to varnish this one to really make the colors pop.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Using a palette of Indanthrene Blue, Cobalt Blue, Quin. Violet, Quin. Rose, Viridian, Sap Green, Quin. Gold and Quin. Burnt Orange, I began slowly laying in paint. You can see from the photo how lightly the first layers are. I wait until an area is completely dry before going back to work in more color or change values or shapes.