Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Winnie & Wallie WIP

I've been asked to do a double dog portrait for my niece to give to her boyfriend's family.  So I'll begin by posting the reference photo and showing the subsequent changes to the photo fo create a usable reference. 

The Original:


A lightened version:


An equalized version:


Then a version showing the poster edges so that general shapes can be seen:


I then toned an 11" x 14" gessoed Ampersand board using Golden Fluid Acrylics, Quin. Burnt Orange and blocking in the general position of the two dogs. 

I have a small easel sitting on my desk so I can paint from the computer screen and be close to eye level.  Hope you stay tuned and offer any advice you wish as painting dogs isn't something I do very often. 


3 comments:

craftchick said...

It's looking like a really good start - I love the idea of posterizing the photos to help with the initial layout. Good luck moving this forward.

Breezy Pointe Lane said...

Looking forward to seeing your progess on the painting of the dogs. Please post updates :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for commenting. :) I'm hoping today's session will bring more progress.