Saturday, November 03, 2012

Peace Roses Study

Peace Roses 
300# Fabriano Aristico
9" x 13"


In an ongoing effort to learn to paint roses, I cut some Peace roses from the bush and placed them in a Mason jar, then took photos of them.  I've been painting all week trying to capture their shape and look.  I didn't like how the outer roses were looking and those two areas quckly became tired and overworked looking.  So I decided to use gesso on those two outer roses to bring back some whites.  I managed to "fog" the roses.because I didn't let the gesso thoroughly dry.  It is all a learning experience no matter the outcome.  I don't think of these paintings as failures but as doing the best I can at the time. 

2 comments:

Rita said...

I think it looks very nice. I like the softness the "fog" brings to it, I would not have known it wasn't intented had you not said it. We are our own worst critics...but I'm glad you posted this because I got to enjoy it for a few minutes. :)

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

I think these look really good! Roses are hard...they almost come out better if you just paint the values and shapes. I have terrible trouble with them. Nice work on these!