Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tea Party Portrait Study

Tea Party Portrait Study
6 3/4" x 9 3/4"
Watercolor

Finally, plied paint to paper using the line sketch posted the other day.  I wanted to get the eyes and the mouth as best I could but still have a ways to go before accomplishing that goal.   The nose is a little off too and I could go on an on.  Still, it was fun and a learning experience painting the skin tones, with more intense colors in areas.   I lost the whites in areas but managed to keep some light which is always a plus in my book. 

An artist friend from Painting Friends shared Mike Bailey's website where he has a wonderful list of articles to read and absorb.  One day I'll reach the point where I'm concentrating more on design, values, line, contrasts, patterns, shapes, etc., instead of just trying to get a reasonable likeness of the subject.  Just viewing his work is exciting and a learning experience.  Hope you enjoy his site as much as I did. 

6 comments:

Dean H. said...

I particularly like the reflected blue under her chin!
A great job at pushing the color, Ann.
That has always been a personal goal of mine.

Studio at the Farm said...

Beautiful, Ann! The colors and subject remind me of Renoir, with all those wonderful, soft, frothy pastel colors.

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

Just lovely!

Ann Buckner said...

Dean, I think you do extremely well in the color department. Thanks for stopping by to comment. :smile:

Kathryn, thank you so much. I love, your latest painting of Trigger. Beautiful work.

Kimberly, thank you for taking the time to view and comment. It looks like you are very busy with your classes.

Katherine Thomas said...

It's perfect! I love the colors and the blendedness that gives her personality so much attention! It's a wonderful portrait, truly!

Verónica Guzmán said...

Fantastico!