Saturday, August 18, 2012

Roses Finished

 
Roses
7 1/4" x 10"
Watercolor
140# Fabriano Soft Press Paper

I just couldn't leave the roses alone, especially after it was put up for critique at Painting Friends.  They are offered great suggestions to improve the painting.  Another person I want to thank especially is Nora from Painting Friends.  She sent me one of her delicate rose paintings which I keep looking at but have never been able to capture her delicate look. 

Thank you all that visit this blog and those of you that have made comments on the various posts. You are wonderful to take time to visit and share your thoughts.  it is much appreciated. 

In the comparison photo below, you can see that more darks were added especially to the roses.  The bud was toned down just a bit and changed the look of the foreground a little.  Also, edges were softened and some of the outlines were softened or broken.  Initially, wax was used to preserve some of the lights then I would back in and used a Proxa brush and a razor blade to bring back some of the white/lighter areas to help create more more. 

3 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, I really like your roses. The darks that you have added are very successful in making the main rose stand out more.
Don't you just love the Fabriano SP? It has become my favorite paper.

Crystal Cook said...

Hi Ann, it's been a while since I stopped by to see you. Hope you're doing well. :) I think your rose looks lovely, the subdued colors add a very nostalgic feeling. And I think it's interesting seeing the before and after pics. The foreground made a big difference.

The Artist In Me said...

Beautiful!