Saturday, July 07, 2012

Oranges On Gessoed Ampersand Board

This is a terrible photo of a painting of oranges that I've been working on.  This is watercolor on gessoed Ampersand board and was a challenge for me to even get it to look like this.  The colors move because the board does not absorb.  I'm learning though that the trick is to go in with thicker paint and paint in one go.  (Reminder to self) I need to do that when painting on regular watercolor paper too.  

Thanks Cindi from PF for the use of your reference photo. 

The painting does not look like this now because I took a spray bottle and washed down the board to start over again.  I'm sure that some things learned from the first painting will help with the second painting.

It has been quite a couple of weeks.  As you may know, I've been in one of the longest painting slumps I've ever experienced then we lost a family member last week.  I'm finding that painting helps even if the paintings turn out to be less than stellar, like the oranges shown above.

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Ann, I am so sorry you have been having such a bad time the last few months.

Ann Buckner said...

Sweet of you Kathryn. Thanks goodness those times are balanced by good ones.