Friday, April 20, 2012

YOP II April WIP Gesture Sketch

We are starting our second year of painting, one painting a month for the next 12 months, at paintingfriends.com.  The options this month were to choose and set up your own YOP and that will continue throughout the year so that we stretch ourselves into areas unfamiliar or uncomfortable.  Photos were also posted which members can also paint if they choose to.

One of the questions that has been plaguing me is what do I really like to paint???  After giving this a lot of thought, I decided that it is people in everyday life.  I enjoy painting other subjects as well, but I love paintings that feature people living their lives on a day to day basis.

I didn't have a model available other than me so I took photos of me pushing a vacuum cleaner.  This will give me good practice in sketching and painting the human form.  My choice of medium for this is acrylics painted on an Ampersand board.

Okay, I'm back with an update.  The following is a photo of my palette and then the next two steps:

The palette consists of Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Raw Sienna, Cad. Yellow Med., Quin. Red, Cad. Red Med., Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and Gesso, used for white.  The paint is placed on wet paper towels and when not in use the paint is stored in a tupperware tray so it can be sealed. 


Next, Cerulean Blue was painted on the Ampersand panel then the figure sketched in with charcoal. Are you wondering why Cerulean Blue to tone the panel? Because it is a greenish blue and there is a lot of green-blue in skin tones.
Now the shadows have been massed in using Burnt Sienna.  A painting was placed on the wall to add balance.

The next phase is to block in everything.  Hope you will stay tuned.

2 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

I'm really liking this so far, Ann.

I am actually drawn to this just as it is, but will look forward to what you do next.

xoxo

Anns Art said...

I like this process Ann, plus the addition of the extra shadow to indicate that something else is happening.