Monday, March 19, 2012

YOP 12 - Self Portrait

 The last YOP of the year is due tomorrow, the 20th, but I'm posting early because of the strong storm system heading our way for the next 24-36 hours.  During those storms I unplug everything.  I just hope the power stays on but our area is not noted for that during these storms.

For this last YOP of our first year (we start a second year beginning April 20th), I wanted to do more like a sequence drawing/painting of  body/head positions.  My goal was do something different than the usual self-portrait.  The likeness is there in the drawing and the unfinished painting but as you can see from the photo below, I missed getting the features right so the expressions look different. 
 I struggled with this painting from the very beginning.  I even got out my grayscale so that I could check the shadows to determine how dark 40% would be from the lightest light before I began painting.  The shadows which took up the biggest percentage of the face were/are the most difficult for me.  I either went to dark or too light, too red or too yellow or too blue or too much water to paint ratio or not enough water - needless to say, lifting paint as much as I did overworked the paper. 
Here is a composite photo of the three positions.  I'm not great at photoshop so the photo looks really rough.  There was enough information though to get the tilt of the head, the angles of the features.

On another note, I want to thank everyone that is following this blog and all those that add their comments.  It means a great deal to me and I hope in some small way, there is some information that you can find useful. 

5 comments:

Kyla Hynes said...

This is a really great concept! and I think its coming out really well despite your issues with it.

I think its something I might try myself for drawing practice. It's great to draw or paint yourself because you can use whatever angle you want and there is less pressure to make it perfect;)

Mermaid's Palette said...

I love this! Self portraits are the toughest- and here you included three. Great post- thanks!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I'm impressed--I've never tried anything like this. It's hard enough getting a resemblence in one portrait; three would be tough. You did it.

RH Carpenter said...

What an undertaking! A lot like what Myrna Wacknov does for her self-portraits. I liked the drawing but even then you didn't get that tilt as severe as in the photo - hard angles you chose for yourself!! You are always working so hard and learning so much. I'd like to see you try this one again in paint and don't worry about the shadows so much - perhaps do it in monotone? Hope the storms passed you by!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks so much all of you, for all the great comments and the feedback.

Kayla, hope you give it a try.

Sheryl, good of you to stop by and thanks for the comments.

Hi Hallie, maybe one day you will paint one??

Rhonda, Myrna is a great one for doing composites. I love her imagination, the textures she creates and her drawings skill are simply wonderful.

Thankfully, we had lots of rain but no severe storms. Thanks for all your encouragement through the years. :)