Friday, March 02, 2012

Pears Study

I've been studying a split primary palette and used the following colors: 

Warm -
DS Naples Yellow
M. Graham Cobalt Blue
Cad. Red Lt. (not sure of mfg.)

Cool -
Holbein Naples Yellow
DS Phthalo Blue (red shade)
Perm. Aliz. Crimson

This was an experiment using the semi-transparent Naples yellow.  The Daniel Smith Naples has more red in it while the Holbein Naples is a truer yellow.  Under warm lighting, the yellows and the reds in these pears have a lovely glow.  

I have a lot to learn about painting shadows, water ratio and getting smoother edges.  Guess my age is finally coming into play with the shaky hands.  I tried to use warm light with cool shadows with some warm thrown in to the shadows.  It is all good practice and will keep on trying to get a look I'm pleased with. 

1 comment:

Nora Mackin said...

You know Ann, I like this. It is so different, the transparency of the pears is refreshing along with the shadows. Bravo on this one.