Thursday, January 05, 2012

Tea Party 2 WIP-Progression Shots


 I began painting a larger facial shot of the little girl shown in the previous posts.  The top left photo shows where the painting stands now.   Think I need to lift the color on the little girl's cheek and jaw line as it looks bruised rather than in shadow. 

The palette for this painting is Cobalt Blue, Burnt Sienna, Pthalo Blue, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Turquoise, Viridian, Perm. Rose, Yellow Ochre, New Gamboge,   I don't want to get so caught up in the technical that I forget to try to be more expressive with the brushes and the color.  That is a hard thing for me to achieve since I am trying to be oh so very careful.  The good part is I have the drawing on tracing paper so can simply begin again if I don't like what I see. 

One of the portrait watercolor artist I most admire is Ona, who has the Emotive Expressions blog.  She creates the most delicate of skin tones yet has marvelous values.  Every time I began getting impatient, waiting for the paper to dry, I would think of her work and how much time and patience she must have.  That would slow me down long enough to allow the paper to dry. 

Even though, the shadow tones are not what I would like I will continue on with this painting, reshaping the lips just a little and lowering the left eye just a tad while continuing to build the shapes through more color and values.  Wish me luck and a good eye!


No comments: