Sunday, December 04, 2011

Today's Red Rose Practice

This little study is about 4" x 5 1/2".  One of the things I did differently was to paint on dry paper with thicker paint.  Also, did not paint a background as my goal was to study the rose.  Not too happy with the top of the rose.  I do like some of the softer edges on top but feel its needs a bit more form in differentiating between the back petals. I may scrap in some highlighted areas along the petal edges.  Paints used were Quin. Coral, Perm. Red, Deep Scarlett, New Gamboge, Cobalt Blue, Sap Green. 

Are you wondering why all the rose practice?  Our YOP, due Dec. 20th, is of a gorgeous white rose so decided I had better get in some practice by studying the shapes, etc.  Hopefully it will be somewhat easier to get the values on a white rose. 

9 comments:

Ann's Art said...

It's beautiful without a doubt.

jyothisethu said...

rose is always beautiful and you have depicted it nicely...
congrats...

Pat said...

I like the soft edges at the top, Ann.
Love the fact its red, too :) xx

Christiane Kingsley said...

Like Pat, I really like the soft edges at the top. Your flowers are always beautiful!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I find red a difficult color to get the value range in so I admire your ability to use red very much.
You will find white much easier.

Ann Buckner said...

Each of you are so kind with your encouraging comments. I love to paint red but finding the values a bit difficult to master.

Julie, hope you are right about the white being much easier. I started a value sketch yesterday now need to get it drawn on paper.

Anonymous said...

Ann,
I was wondering how you liked the difference in paper and paint? I really like the rose as a whole. Each petal looks a little different the the other as of a real rose. I agree with you about the rose on the top. Even though the softer edges makes the back petals look different the the petals in the front, I feel like you are loosing the full shape on the rose. I really like the steam of the rose though. The colors and sharpness of the steam makes the petals fall to the background I feel. Overall, great work. Keep on practicing! I am sure you will get the perfect rose soon.

Ann Buckner said...

thank you Anonymous! I appreciate your viewing the work and your comments.

Deb Léger said...

So, how did you like painting with thicker paint on dry paper? Will you do more? (I just watched a short video at Cheap Joe's on using thicker paint and it looked interesting. Then, I came here and found your gorgeous rose!) Beautiful - you can do such awesome petal work!