Saturday, December 03, 2011

Overworked Rose

Another practice study of a rose - I was trying to accomplish several things with this little study - find the shapes within the rose - use values to create form - keep some whites - and, try to make it look like it is not pasted over the background with so many hard edges.  As you can see - I didn't accomplish all those goals.  So I tried again.  The painting below has been scrubbed out and repainted so many times.  Still I like it better than the first one even though more dark values are needed within the rose to help create better form and transitions from dark to light. 


3 comments:

Ann's Art said...

I like them both!

Nora Mackin said...

Ann I do like the first one mainly because of the different reds in it. But I do see what you mean about the second one, it is much softer and more light seems to hit it with the whites coming through. I love how you do your bgs in both.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Ann and Nora.

Nora, you are the queen of roses and I admire your soft touch when it comes to painting them.