Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Due Jan. 20, 2012, YOP Challenge

This painting was painted in 2006 from a set up and it continues to be one of my favorite little paintings. 

For the next challenge at paintingfriends.com, it is one where each member chooses the subject based on a real life set up they compose. 

1. Set up a still life of an area in your home or do an outside plein air -

2. Take photos of your set up or plein air landscape or still life - post the photo when you post your YOP.

3. Challenge yourself to explain why you chose that particular set up?

  • values
  • color
  • line
  • harmony
  • balance
  • texture
  • patterns
  • movement/rythym
  • is your set up based on a triangular set up and "S" movement?
  • Other things that may have appealed to you that made you want to paint this subject and set it up the way you did
4. This is your painting from beginning to end - so it is now up to you to challenge yourself - painting what you love most.

6 comments:

jyothisethu said...

nice challenge...
i have asked my artists to try...

RH Carpenter said...

I've always liked this painting, too. This sounds like a great challenge - not only the what of it but the why!!

Studio at the Farm said...

Ann, I could see why it is one of your favorites! And I appreciate the info about setting up a still life. Than k you ,Ann. And I wish you and all you family a most Happy Christmas, and All the Best in the New Year!!!

L.W.Roth, said...

This is a great challenge Ann, I'm sorry I missed it. Participating might have taught me to focus on the painting rather than the photograph as I usually do.

Still lifes are excellent for honing drawing skills and building mastery with brush and color. However, I rarely get beyond the photograph. I am easily distracted from such projects by my love of photography and special effects. Once I've polished the photograph, I see no reason to paint it; the photograph has become the art.

Have a lovely holiday season and the best to you and yours in the New Year.

Mermaid's Palette said...

Ann- I love your still life. This next challenge sounds like a lot of thinking along with the painting!
Merry Christmas-

Crystal Cook said...

This is beautiful Ann. I really love the setup, and the rich, deep colors too. :) I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas my dear friend!! :)))