Monday, November 28, 2011

Poinsetta

 Poinsetta
 4 7/8" x 6 7/8"
Watercolor

It was interesting painting all these reds, using Quin. Red, Perm. Red, Rhodenite Genuine, Deep Scarlett, Quin. Burnt Orange, and Pyrolle Orange.  I used an underpainting of Azo Yellow under some of the reds to brighten them.  Some of the reds are more of a blue-red in real life.  One other thing I need to comment on is that the colors look much more saturated in the photo.  We all know how soft watercolors are so the saturation level has been reduced but the photo still has the look of more intense colors. 

The shadows were first painted with Sap Green then glazed with different reds and blues, including Cobalt and Pthalo Blue.  I used a photo by mustcreate from the Wet Canvas Reference Image Library as reference for this painting.


15 comments:

jyothisethu said...

beauty...
and i could really feel the thickness of these leaves...
congrats...

IrinaSztukowski said...

I believe that Poinsettia is a magical plant: love it's flowery look. So festive and powerful. Green and Red are perfect combination to celebrate holidays and Poinsettia gives us both :)
Thank you,
Irina

Jeannie said...

I think it's beautiful.

laura said...

Love all the reds and pinks, and the light on the leaves. You captured their ruffly-ness perfectly!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

OMG - this is fabulous. I love all those shade of red. This is really a beauty.

Pat said...

Love the feel of this one, Ann xx

Desiree said...

Wow, I think this is just beautiful!!! Great job

Katherine Thomas said...

You have a beautiful expressive touch with your paintings. I find it so captivating! I love this painting, and also the Child of Madagascar. It's wonderful artwork!

RH Carpenter said...

I like the intensity of this one, Ann - such deep colors and great shapes.

L.W.Roth, said...

This is a lovely watercolor Ann. It does have an impressive range of reds. Very nice. This would make a beautiful Christmas card.

Christiane Kingsley said...

I love the colors and the movement created by the composition lines. I am always amazed by your beautiful work!

Ann Buckner said...

Everyone, thank you very much for your generous comments. Painting this brought Christmas even closer. Hope you enjoy every day up to Christmas and make it special.

Crystal Cook said...

Ann this is simply gorgeous. I love all the variations in the reds and greens. It's a masterpiece. :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Crystal, :)

Deb Léger said...

What a great Christmas card this would make, Ann. Love it!