Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Child of Madagascar WIP


This painting is for an online portrait study group but thought I would share the progress or regress, as the case may be, with you.  The painting was begun in watercolor laying in a wash of Quin. Burnt Orange  and Cobalt blue to establish some of the dark areas. I want to thank babasteve from flickr.com for allowing me to use his beautiful photo. 
In the next two photos, more quin. burnt orange, French Ultramarine Blue and Raw Sienna were used to help form the shapes within the face.
  


In the photo to the left, you can see that most of the darks were washed out and started working on the eyes. 

 These two photos show where I began using acrylics to form the face as the paper was becoming overworked. 
   

This last photo shows the painting as it stands right now.  Now I have to stop for awhile as I have kitchen walls to paint. 


4 comments:

laura said...

The eyes are stunning; you've also captured the sweet gesture of her turning to look over her shoulder ... and I like the light on the top of her head too!
Good luck with your wall painting--I have guest room to paint, but have to sand it first!

Ann's Art said...

Wow! it's stunning.

Crystal Cook said...

Looks beautiful Ann! There is a very pensive quality in the expression that you have used to great effect. Wonderful work. :)

Pat said...

Fascinating to see her develop - and I love where you are now! xx