Thursday, October 06, 2011

Chatter -- Pricing & What Does Success Mean to You?

I was reading the Fine Art Views newsletters this morning and read the article, "The Politics of Price" on the FASO blog and found all the related comments quite interesting.   The comments are varied and relate to pricing in today's market, through galleries, or art shows or other venues.  It also talks about upcoming artists vs. the more established artists and how lower prices can affect more established artists sales.  Of course, there are many differing views and all are quite interesting to read and contemplate.

There was also a mention of a website about art marketing, "Artists Who Thrive", which I promptly went to and began reading.  There is a lot there to read and much food for thought. 

2 comments:

L.W.Roth, said...

I'm going to take a look at those sites Ann. It's almost two years that I've been back to painting and as I become clearer on where I want to take my art, I'm starting to think about selling. Packaging the art has been a main concern--to frame or not to frame? On one hand I believe strongly in presentation. On the other, the cost of those finishing touches jack up the price considerably--as does factoring in the cost of materials, studio space rental if that applies, product shipping if the independence of on line sales are of interest. Then there's the time spent in production, also promotion... Marketing art requires putting on a whole new hat. Very interesting. Very time consuming. I'm glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about it for quite a while.

Crystal Cook said...

Oh pricing. That is THE hardest part of being an artist in my opinion. I find it very frustrating to see artist's underselling their work. Not only because it shows collector's that the artist themself doesn't perceive it to have the value it should, but it also DOES hurt other artist's who are charging more. A higher, fair price that's deserved from years and years of education and struggle.

I follow the FASO blog too but I haven't heard of the other site. I'll have to go check it out. Thanks Ann. :)