Saturday, September 24, 2011

Portrait Sketch

I belong to a small portrait group and this month's photo is by babasteve from Flickr.  Photos are used with his permission by the portrait group. 

The top photo is a crop of the bottom one and is most like the reference photo.  I wanted to add more information so I sketched beyond what the reference photo showed to give a vignette look.   I think the chin would look more rounded if there was more shading.  The turtleneck shirt wasn't finished either so her neck area looks like wrinkles rather than a shirt. 
The paper was shaded using an F graphite pencil then started the drawing with the chin and shoulder line, working my way up the portrait, as shown in the above photo.  I did use vertical lines for placement of nostril edges and lips plus measured the width of the eye to get the bridge of the nose width. 

11 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

That's lovely! I think graphite is so expressive for portraits. Very nice!

Pat said...

You captured great feeling in this drawing Ann. Bravo! xx

RH Carpenter said...

This is beautifully drawn, Ann! I wouldn't do anything but soften the "wrinkles" in the neck and leave it as is - she doesn't need a turtleneck or shirt of any kind - just work on getting the same skin tone on her shoulders and small part of upper back showing. Really beautiful!

L.W.Roth, said...

Yes, I would fudge the twist wrinkles and let it go at that. It looks good.

Gary Keimig said...

nice sketch. Simple and direct

Ann's Art said...

Hi Ann, interesting to know how you went about this portrait, I can understand your process....and a great portrait it is too.....[ann's art].

Crystal Cook said...

This is beautiful Ann!! You've nailed her expression. :) Can't wait to see it painted.

Judy said...

Beautiful soft portrait!

Nora Mackin said...

Nicely done Ann, you captured her eyes so well.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you everyone. I appreciate you!

maria kovalenko leysens said...

Just lovely! Enjoyed catching up with your blog... Lots of great info. Thank you for sharing.