Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lady Cardinal

Lady Cardinal
7" x 9 1/2"
Watercolor

This female cardinal was painted for the year of painting (YOP).  The reference photo used is by mensatic at Art Morgue.  It was great fun painting this lady.  The colors in the painting are what I see in the photo although they are reading brighter in the painting than the photo.  

I began the painting with the eye and painted the head first.  Colors were laid in over most of the bird before working the background.  Palette colors used are Viridian, yellow ochre, azo yellow, Quin. Burnt Orange, Transparent Brown Oxide, Sepia, Moonglow(purplish), Smalt(blue), Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine Blue, Perm. Red, Perm. Rose, Scarlet Pyrolle,

7 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, I love everything about this painting! The colors are wonderful and your background is superb. Your title is very well chosen since this bird does look like a dainty lady. I am glad that you used brighter colors than in the photo for her: male cardinals are usually the ones to steal the show with their bright feathers. Time for the lady cardinal to attract attention:-)

Studio at the Farm said...

Ann, she's beautiful against the greyed background.

Pat said...

She's a real beauty, Ann xx

Crystal Cook said...

Beautiful Ann. :) I love the brights against the neutrals.

L.W.Roth, said...

Ann I love what you did with this. Pushing the colors made her so much more interesting than the real bird. Your background and lighting adds further interest. Very nice.Good luck.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks all of you. I rather enjoyed painting this lady bird.

Neil said...

I like this a lot. I'm enjoying trawling your back posts.