Sunday, May 01, 2011

Mollie's Berries, In Progress

Mollie shared a strawberry photo with us at paintingfriends.com and did a demo on how she paints strawberries.  Click her name to see her painting from the demo.  Notice how clean and pristine her painting looks. 

This little painting still has misket on it.  There is more to do, such as painting (fixing) the stems and lifting some too dark areas.  Still have to put in some seed areas and lift some lights.  Over all though I have had loads of fun painting this.  It is a challenge for me to work with red, to get good values so the painting reads right even in grayscale.  The other challenge is painting those stems so they look like stems and not a gobbledygook mess lol. 

10 comments:

Nora Mackin said...

Ann what a great start you have here. I like your reds and the way they are blending into the yellow. Can't wait to see it done.

mollie jones said...

Love the look you've painted, Ann...so clean and fresh and loose. Perhaps you should have been the one doing the demo...

Stephie Butler said...

WOW, these are superb Ann. Love how the colours has run out in places...superb......

Christiane Kingsley said...

What great looking strawberries, Ann. Your reds are fantastic! I also really like the shadows on the plate.
I have looked at Mollie's demo...wow...it's good! I don't have all the colors and brands of paint that she is recommending, but I will certainly give this a try.
Thank you for sharing!

IrinaSztukowski said...

Ann, I've always thought that strawberries are the most difficult berry to paint. You made it look so simple and so good :)

thank you,
Irina

Ann Buckner said...

Nora, glad you are liking the look of the reds.

Mollie, no way - you are the expert, I'm just a beginner that has been painting for a long time lol.

Stephie, thanks. :)

Christiane, love how you paint berries. You have such wonderful control of this medium. Hope to see your study of Mollie's demo soon.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, I use too much control:-) A loose style like in Mollie's demo will be extremely difficult for me. But I will try!

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, I have no doubt at all you will master it. Now could you pass along a little more of your control to me? :)

Vernita Bridges Hoyt said...

Ann, these strawberries look good enough to eat. I love the looseness and freshness of your brush strokes. Beautiful!
V.

Vernita Bridges Hoyt said...

Forgot to mention that I really love your blog and all the good links you share.