Friday, May 27, 2011

Making Mud & Overworking

I thought to get back into painting I would practice pears before going to a half sheet watercolor.  Well, the pears whipped me ha ha.  I taped off four sections on the watercolor paper and will do at least three more pear studies.  This study is 4" x 6" and it is very overworked.  Still on this blog you get to see the paintings that don't work as well as the ones that do.

This painting began with a reddish-blue section at the top 1/3rd, varying the amount of blue and reds.  The table was then a quin. burnt orange.  I liked the way the pears were painted but didn't like the background and table area so I washed off most of the paint and repainted.  I lifted, daubed added, and generally just went with the flow.  Great fun but a painting that doesn't look fresh. 

5 comments:

L.W.Roth, said...

I like the painting overdone or not. It has a blurriness to it that's like the pears were behind a wet panel. Overdone to me is when you've dabbed and rubbed and removed the paint so many times, the paper is marred. Don't throw it away.

debwardart said...

Do overs are allowed!!! I'm glad you are OK there in OK, as well as your family in MO. Seems these storms are everywhere, and no respite.

Sharon Williamson said...

Maybe you think it doesn't look fresh, but from here it surely looks rich and opulent! Love that deep background, sets the pears off to perfection.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

Beautiful!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment everyone. I'm behind in my comments. :(

Yes, Deb, thank goodness for "do overs". :)