Monday, April 25, 2011

YOP1, Apple Tree Landscape WIP

There were two photos posted for the YOP Landscapes at paintingfriends.com.  The other photo, shown below, is of the old apple tree that was just barely standing in our backyard. 

For this project, I am using acrylics on Fabriano Artistico soft press paper, an 1/8th sheet (7 1/2" x 11").  In the photos above you can see the beginning block in of all the areas.  

The bright green in the foreground on the first part of the block in, is Stephen Quiller sap green straight from the tube.  For the tree cast shadow I laid in Golden quin. magenta.  The rest of the colors used are WN hookers green, Liquitex brilliant yellow green, Golden Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Fr. Ultramarine Blue(Golden Open), Cobalt Blue, Raw Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Primrose (Golden Open) and gesso used for white. 

On the weather front, we have had so much rain that we are soaked.  That is better than having the drought conditions that are in Texas.  Sure wish some of this rain would help them.  One of our rivers is 10 feet above normal so you can imagine how much flooding there is around the river.  Today we have a 100% chance of rain forecasted ha ha.  But tomorrow, we are suppose to see some sunshine with more rain on Wednesday.  I'm thankful for this rain and that the storms haven't been too bad and no tornadoes in this area.   Still I frequently shut down the computer, grab a book and read during the worst of it all. 

4 comments:

NoviceArtist said...

Grabbing a book during a storm is probably the best thing to do. Love the work in progress with the apple tree. :)

RH Carpenter said...

If I could paint landscapes as well as you, I would paint landscapes! Love those beautiful variety of greens in the bg already :) People here are gathering their emergency supplies in bags so, when the tornado sirens go off, they can grab them and head to a safe place. The question is, what to take and what to leave to chance? Rain rain rain all week here with only minor times that it will let up - when it does, I rush outside and run errands or open the sunroom and sit out there trying to pretend it's sunshine coming through the windows!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks you two for peeking in and commenting.

Rhonda, we had huge rains today and hope you don't get as much. I also hope that you don't have any tornadoes. Will be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Mike Vines said...

Ann,

I'm not exactly sure why I find this photograph so appealing. Maybe because it can be seen all over Kentucky where I live, and maybe because it exemplifies good old fashioned countriness (an old expression I just made up). I also love the painting that is the result of your study.

Take care,

Mike Vines
FineArtatHome.com