Saturday, April 16, 2011

Parrot Tulips 2

Here is today's progress thus far.  It is a bit of a mess as I wasn't sure what I wanted in the background and I often lose my way with the flower petal and leaf shapes.  I've noticed too that I have not left any white within the flowers.  The background in the upper left (viewer's left) is actually a bit lighter and less saturated than what is showing here.  One other thing that I noticed are the two red petals in the lower right "kissing", so will correct that too. I have to say I am really enjoying painting this as it is a challenge plus painting on larger paper is a joy. 

The top photo shows the corrections made in Photoshop.  I used Levels to lighten then desaturated the photo as well as decreasing the blue in the mid-tones and shadows.  I also used the Transform-Skew button to straighten and square up the photo.  Below shows the original photo, taken under a mix of fluorescent, incandescent and natural light.  

5 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, this is looking very good. I really love your bright, pure red colors! As for the whites, I have found that the Artistico SP allows quite a bit of lifting.
You are absolutely right about the larger size of paper...I always find that it is much easier to work on a larger size.

Studio at the Farm said...

Good shapes and beautiful colors! I get lost with backgrounds, too, and my first response is usually "paint it black"! Not always a good idea.

NoviceArtist said...

I'm enjoying learning by your photos, of the work in progress. Great job.

Pat said...

Looking good so far! :) xx

Ann Buckner said...

thanks for commenting all of you. Good of you to take the time.