Friday, April 15, 2011

Parrot Tulips 1

 
Sketched the tulips on a half sheet of 140# Fabriano Aristico Soft Press paper this morning.  I had to use Photoshop Elements Contrast on it so the lines would show.  Then did several swatches of colors to decide the palette and decided on Quin. Coral, Cadimum Red Light, Permanent Rose, Azo Yellow, New Gamboge, Viridian, Rare Green Earth, Fr. Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Smalt (grayish-blue), and Quin. Violet.  All of these colors have been used in the beginning portion of the painting as shown in the photo above.  The photo was taken under a combination of fluorescent, incandescent and natural light then used Photoshop Elements Levels to lighten it so it to looked more like the painting. 

5 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, I love those reds! I will be quite excited to see this painting develop.
I used the Fabriano SP for my latest floral and I loved it.

Katherine Thomas said...

So interesting to hear about your process. Thank you! It's going to be beautiful!

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, I love those reds too and how luscious they look. I prefer the Fabriano SP over the Twinrocker. The Twinrocker is a good paper with more texture and I like the 200# weight but prefer the softer texture of the Fabriano.

Nora Mackin said...

Looking good so far Ann. I've used Fabriano 140 cp but that is all. Will be watching

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Nora!