Thursday, March 10, 2011

Which Do You Most Enjoy Viewing? A Poll

The photo is a grayscale photo of baking items that has been posterized.  In other words, the shapes/values have been simplified.  I sometimes do this to a photo in Photoshop, to see the value patterns and the larger shapes.  Then I can tell where I want more emphasis and what areas to downplay. 

A poll was started at an online art group asking the artists what they would most like to learn to paint.  That started me thinking about what kind(s) of paintings you, the viewer, like to see.  When visiting a gallery, art show or museum, which paintings do you gravitate toward? 

So I posted a poll in the right sidebar and hope you will click a subject.  If you feel like it, post a comment as to what draws you to a painting and/or a subject. 

7 comments:

L.W.Roth, said...

The poll gave me something to think about-while I chose abstract--it's really artists and mediums that have drawn me to exhibits, not subject matter. I really like all the genres that you listed.

Ann Buckner said...

thanks for posting to the poll, L.W. That was the purpose, to think about what draws us to a painting. I think you are right that it is most often the artists' interpretation and execution of the subject rather than the subject itself. For me, I like all the subjects but it is what the artist(s)puts into the subject and brings out that makes it come to life.

RH Carpenter said...

Hard for me to choose just one but I'd say a well painted figure really draws me in and wants me to look more closely and makes me appreciate it more than other things. Maybe it's because I know how hard it is to do a figure or a portrait really well and with feeling?

♥Jan♥ said...

That was interesting. I chose landscapes...maybe because that is my favorite subject and I love nature so much~~~

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks all of you, for your comments and for joining in on the poll. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

maria kovalenko leysens said...

I am drawn to people and strong values. The people just because, the values because it gives a painting energy.

Ann Buckner said...

Maria, thanks for sharing what you are drawn to in art. I love the strong values too and strokes that create movement.