Friday, March 11, 2011

Learning To Draw An Ellipse and Art Articles

At Painting Friends, there is a beginning drawing class and the first topic was drawing a coffee cup, learning to draw an ellipse(s).  If you look at the top of the cup in the left photo you can see that I continually go round and round, trying to find the size and perspective of the top ellipse.  I then erase all the lines that are out of sync.  Next, the sides of the cup are draw and you can there are several lines there too, erasing the ones that don't work.  I always draw "through" the bottom of the cup until I get a reasonable ellipse, then the back portion is erased.  The cup (and cast shadow) still needs adjustment before adding more form and interest to the cup.  Is this the best way to begin?  I really don't know, only that it is how I do it.

This morning, while watching and listening to the news, I read an article by Whitney Peckman written for Fine Art Views newsletter, that I thought the readers of this blog might find interesting.  Pricing artwork is always a bit traumatic for a lot of artists, me included. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page for more related articles if you want to read more about pricing artwork. I enjoy receiving the newsletter in my inbox and reading it while I have my morning coffee.

5 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

good post Ann. So many have trouble by bypassing such elementary basics such as this

Christiane Kingsley said...

Thank you, Ann, for this post. I will visit Painting Friends to do some of the basic drawing exercises. I am one of the ones that Gary refers to in the above post:-) I have to review the basics for sure.

Judy Adamson said...

I can't tell you how pleased I was to read that someone else goes round and round - or over and over - until the shape is right. I was under the impression that most people could just get it right first time!

Thank you!

fairy fantasy art said...

great blog i felt so happy after reading this blog...i never use to get perfect shape..but still i am trying and hope will achieve that

Ann Buckner said...

Gary, you are so right. Learning and/or refreshing our knowledge of the basics is a good thing.

Christiane, great - see you at PF.

lol Judy, I thought I was one of a few that did too. Nice to know you do that. In the PF class on drawing, one of the links mentioned drawing a square then drawing the ellipse inside the square. Thought that was a good tip.

Kimberly, love your blog. I bet you get the shape right most of the time.

Thanks all of you for stopping by. :)