Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Daffodil, A Photo

We had one lonely daffodil open so I cut it and brought it inside to brighten a rather gloomy, cloudy day.  I hope this little beauty brightens your day as well. 

For those of you not familiar with Robert Genn and his newsletter, I want to share with you a link to a particular newsletter which deals with feeling overwhelmed by all it takes to create a painting.  He states:

"Generally speaking, books, magazines and other stimuli don't work. You have to steel yourself up and get yourself busy. It's the work itself that rocks the mountain. . . ."
"Painting, for example, can be a parade of minor defeats and failures, but nevertheless the personal and individual working process is more positive than negative. . . . "

To me it spoke specifically about taking that first step - getting past the feelings of not knowing enough, not being good enough, not knowing exactly where to start.   It reminded me that I paint because of my own inner feelings and desire to create.  If we can get back to that home base, our own feelings of why we paint, then we have taken a major first step toward getting past our fear or feeling overwhelmed. 

I haven't painted or drawn anything since Sunday.  Does that mean I've stopped painting?  In my case, it means my mind is working through what to paint next.  In recent months, I've painted mostly 1/4 sheet watercolor paintings.  Now, I'm considering a half sheet and a full sheet painting which feels overwhelming to me.  I'm thinking of painting a still life, what fabric to use as a setting, what objects to use and how to arrange them.  So yes, I'm taking a break and yes, it is partly because it means having to take that first step.  But in my head, I am painting, creating and getting up enough nerve to start. 

5 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

What an interesting post, Ann! After completing a painting, I always feel nervous and unsure: what to paint next? I keep telling myself that it does not matter if I don't find/select the perfect reference; there will be other paintings. However, I procrastinate and procrastinate until I put that first hint of color on the paper. Is it fear of failure?I don't know..Once I start painting, I am happy!

Katherine Thomas said...

I love that daffodil! Spring really is coming, isn't it?
Remember the Andrew Wyeth quote, "I do more painting when I'm not painting."

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful daffodil, Ann, a sure sign of spring coming soon :) I'm glad you're going to be painting bigger - I think your work will benefit from going bigger, even if it's just to a half sheet size. Remember, as Nick Simmons says, when you paint bigger small mistakes aren't seen as much as when you paint small :) Go for it!

Deb Léger said...

What a great post, Ann! I can sure relate to it and I like how you reason it out. You're so right.

Are you saying that daffodil was growing in your yard? Seriously? I can't even **see** over the snowbanks here and you have daffodils growing outside? Wow!

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, I find it wonderful and amazing how each of us find our way through the roadblocks we place in our own path or through the blocks place by outside events. It's magical isn't it, that first stroke of color. All else just fades away.

Katherine, that riot of color in the daff has meant so much with the rainy weather, even though the rain brings Spring green. Like that Wyeth quote. My belief is most artists do that, paint and plan in their head before paint ever touches the paper.

Rhonda, I'm still planning on a larger painting but I'm struggling with still life arrangements. My head thinks complex when it needs to think simple. grrr

Deb, so glad the daff brought a breathe of Spring to you, since you still have snow.