Thursday, March 17, 2011

Check Out the Daily Paintworks Challenge Blog

I enjoy seeing the challenges on the Daily Paintworks blog but the challenge that will be posted on Saturday, March 19th, is special.  Check out The Help Japan ChallengeMany thanks to the artists at the Daily Paintworks blog for the challenges but especially for this one.

 Many thanks to all of you that posted on the poll and your comments. 

I'm still looking at still life arrangements and still life photos.  I like the white on white with just the touches of color in this photo. What I don't like is the center position of the milk glass cup used as a brush holder.

L. W. Roth commented with a suggestion to add a dark value positioned about 2:00 o'clock to offset the centered cup.  Thanks L.W. for the suggestion.  

I put the photo in Photoshop and added more drapery on the viewer's left.  What bothered after adding the drapery is that all the weight appeared to be on the right side.  The weight needed to be distributed to create more balance so an attempt to paint in a tube of paint was done.  By adding the tube of paint it created a more circular movement with the heavy weight of all the items on the right balanced by the small tube of paint to the left.  Is it a workable arrangement?  I'll set up the arrangement again and move objects around to see what looks right to me. 

5 comments:

L.W.Roth, said...

I know what you mean. The milkglass cup is too centered. Why not throw it off my adding another spot of something black about two o'clock down from the black spot in the cut. The black will carry the eye back around. It's a nice, (and difficult to paint) set up, it just needs a dash of adjustment.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for the suggestion. That might work pretty well. I played with the photo in Photoshop and added more drapery on the left (viewer's). The cup is now off center in the photo and may place a tube or two of paint on the table for balance and to bring the eye up and around toward the brushes standing in the cup. Do you think that would work?

Nora Mackin said...

Ann this is very interesting I like the drapery on viewer's right but think too much on left. Could you darken that side's drapery as it goes into the back. I also love the curve on the right side too, leading you down and around the cup. I don't like the brushes in the front all pointing out of the picture. Maybe just one at a different angle. But I love all the white in here and the little bit of yellow.

Mermaid's Palette said...

I really like your arrangement! Setting up a still life can be more difficult than painting one!
Sheryl

Ann Buckner said...

I appreciate all of your comments. Will keep playing until I find a composition I feel that works. :)