Monday, February 07, 2011

Young Girl, WIP

It looks a mess doesn't it.  I've washed away some of the color and the yellow tones are a bit more reddish.  Did you notice the blooms?  My next step is to do the eyes then go from there even though I'm not feeling very positive about this painting and may end up starting over.  I've noticed I've been very hesitant on this painting, not sure of color mixes even though I did color swatches. Still it is good to share some of the messes that can occur and hopefully share how those messes can turn in to a fairly decent painting.  Wish me luck! 

The reference photo is by Babasteve (Steve Evans) on Flickr, under creative commons. I've tried to look closely at the skin tones to determine colors in the different areas of the face.  The palette for this painting is quin. burnt orange, Trans. Red Oxide, Fr. Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Cerulean Blue, Viridian, Quin. Violet, New Gamboge and Azo Yellow.   I've been using mostly a #12 or #14 Escoda kolinsky round (the writing is worn off on the handle) and synthetic #6 round.

4 comments:

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

I love seeing WIP's! Keep us posted!!

Mermaid's Palette said...

Paintings in progress can look interesting! I do wish you luck- your portraits are looking really good- painting people terrifies me and I do hope to work on that!
Sheryl

Pat said...

Watercolour can look like nothing and then miraculously turn into a painting to be proud of. I am sure this will be one of those with you at the brush, Ann! xx

Ann Buckner said...

Kimberly, thanks for stopping by. Enjoyed your new blog and much success with your painting and teaching.

Sheryl, WIP's really terrify me because they (in my case) don't always work out. Still it is all about learning, making mistakes, correcting and trying again. Hope you jump in and do some portraits.

Pat, believe me, it would take a miracle for this painting. Still, I do believe in miracles. :) I'm enjoying your WIP of Christ.