Sunday, February 20, 2011

Little Girl Sketch

Little girl sketch for the February challenge at the online portrait group.  The reference photo used is by Grunge from the Wet Canvas Reference Image Library.

In looking at this on the computer monitor, I think his left eye (our right) needs to a little lower and maybe moved in toward the nose just a little too.  Possibly the left side of his face also needs to be a little narrower.  Will wait though until it is critiqued at the portrait group to make any changes.  Once critiqued and any changes that need to be made are done, the drawing will be transferred to watercolor paper.  The sketch is on 9" x 12" drawing paper using a mechanical pencil.

You might be interested in knowing that this sketch was begun using the Andrew Loomis circle and cone.  The bottom of the circle would be the bottom of the nose where the area below that would fit in the cone.

P.S. Title corrected to reflect this is a little girl

3 comments:

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

Interesting way to start your portrait. I use the grid method. I love doing the fast sketches from life, but I have to grid out photographs to make them work for me.

Pat said...

He looks good - and like he has real attitude!

Ann Buckner said...

Kimberly, I've used the grid method too but I'm finding by actually using the circle and cone that I am paying more attention to the shape of the head and am getting better at the alignment of the features.