Wednesday, February 02, 2011

My Continuing Struggle with Roses & the Google Art Project


 A study in progress

Yesterday, I started this study of a rose, using a reference photo taken a year or so ago.  My goal is to maintain some white space (highlights), some lighter areas, with mid-values and darks to shape the rose.  Red roses are difficult for me to paint.  It is that simple.  It might have helped if I had drawn the rose first but I used the brush and painted in the darks first, added mid-value reds then used a damp brush to lighten the value for form.

In the second photo, the paper was spritzed  to wash away what was painted in the background and some of the rose. The third photo shows the overworked, ill-planned painting.  Still it is all a learning experience.  Hope you don't mind seeing the failures as well as the one that I think work. 

Have you heard about the Google Art Project?   Click the link and check it out.  What do you think about it?  I find it a wonderful way to visit the different galleries and view at least some of the artwork since I can't visit them in real life.  

I forgot to mention in Monday's post that the reference photo (I think by Ian Bruce) used for the grasaille underpainting was from Wet Canvas.  Always important to give the photographer credit for his work.

5 comments:

jyothisethu said...

ann,

the rose came out of the screen when i looked into it...
so natural and the background also is wonderful...

congrats...

Mermaid's Palette said...

Ann-
I actually really like the finished painting! The rose looks good and they are difficult- I also like the background. Besides the learning, you have a nice watercolor.
Sheryl

RH Carpenter said...

I think this came out looking good and liked that you drew it with the paint and brush and how you did it. I like the one with the bg washed away and drizzly, just barely there. Now how about roses in the snow? I know you're getting hit with snow and ice and hope you stay warm and safe.

Jane said...

I also think that roses are difficult to paint, but you did a very good job, I prefer roses number 1 and 3.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks all of you. I appreciate you, ya know. :)