Sunday, February 20, 2011

Male Sketch

Drew this man yesterday using a mechanical pencil as a base for a painting.  The reference photo was provided by Kevin Wueste for use in the Paint Together thread in the Portraiture Forum at Wet Canvas.  You can click on the link to see the reference photo.

I didn't go for values in this sketch but concentrated more on placement, shape of features and lines, so the drawing can be transferred to watercolor paper.  It took a lot of time to do this with lots of erasing and redrawing lines.  I may have his head tilted a bit too far but overall I'm pleased with the sketch. 

I don't think I could go to a life drawing class because it takes me so long just to get feature placement lined up lol.   Still it would a challenge and good practice to actually draw and paint from life. 

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I like this a lot! Fresh lines and clean features and a hint of a personality are shown here :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Rhonda :)