Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Iris WIP

I tried something different for me, placing a wash of Azo Yellow along the outer parameters and adding New Gamboge in areas. Then glazing blues or mixes on top of the yellows.   Sometimes it works, sometimes I have to mix to get the green I'm wanting.  The colors for this painting are Azo Yellow, New Gamboge, Quin. Rose, Quin. Violet, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Turquoise, Cobalt Blue, Pthalo Blue, French Ultramarine Blue, Indigo Blue, Carbazole Violet.  The blues are for mixing different greens and some of the purples. 

7 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, this will be so gorgeous! I love your colors, the transparency, the painterly effect! I am sure that this will be one of my favorite paintings!

RH Carpenter said...

This is looking good and I like how you let the yellows show through in places but glaze over them in other areas. Very nice.

debwardart said...

I like how you are letting the colors mingle a bit - this will be lovely when completed.

Fay Akers said...

looking forward to seeing the final!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks all of you for commenting and staying tuned. :)

Susan Roux said...

It looks like a very good approach. I love it when paint creates new colors. Their little surprises for the artist!

Ann Buckner said...

I like those little surprises too Susan. They are what makes watercolor so exciting, I think.