Saturday, November 27, 2010

Watercolor Portrait, Final

I'm calling this painting finished for the most part. I may go in and correct the area of the nose between the eyes which needs to recede just a bit. Many thanks to Morgue File for the reference photo. 

Painting this brought home to me how much control I lack when it comes to painting with watercolor.  When I say control, I mean paint to water ratio, which brush stroke to use, when to paint wet on wet or when to paint dry.  Perhaps it is the effort to learn all of that is what makes watercolor so fascinating to me. 

6 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

It's exquisitely done! Very good! Don't change anything!

Pat said...

He looks great!
I think you do outstanding work with watercolour! xx

SOFIA said...

GREATTTTT!!!

RHCarpenter said...

Beautiful modeling of the facial planes, Ann :) And the Lunar Earth worked well.

Ann Buckner said...

Katherine, Pat, Sofia, Rhonda - thanks you all. You are the best!

debwardart said...

Not long ago I had that epiphany "why is w/c so difficult?" I agree with your reasons, and then add in learning about each pigment (staining, lifting, etc.) which makes a big difference in glazing. I admire your letting us see your work (like Rhonda C does) in process so we can learn from it, too!