Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Watercolor Portrait, Adding Color



I flipped the drawing so it is reversed for the painting.  In the first photo,  I began underpainting the shadows using cerulean and cobalt blues along with quin. violet.  The second & third photos show skin tones over the underpainting. For the skin tones, lunar earth, English Red Ochre, Transparent Brown Oxide and Yellow Ochre were used.  The dark brown that is showing is not that dark and not that brown, more of a reddish tone.  This may not turn out to be a successful painting as I've rather lost the shape of the face and features so will redraw them so I can see how to paint them.   

Wishing each of you a Blessed Thanksgiving and thank you all for continuing to hang in with me even when the posts are sporadic. 

4 comments:

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

I find really interesting how you've worked the underpainting varianting colors, nice.
Don't givve up on it yet Ann, there's no way you can't recover his facial features ;)

Sharon Williamson said...

Looking good Ann, it's interesting to see how you did the shadows first off. Keep us informed on your progress!

RHCarpenter said...

It looks good. I like to see underpaintings like you do but I never think to do them - maybe it's impatience for me? How do you like the Lunar Earth in the skintones?

Ann Buckner said...

Teresa, Sharon, and Rhonda - thanks for stopping by and your comments.

I don't normally start with the shadows, Rhonda. Wanted to try something different to see how well it would work.