Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Skin Colors

I'm posting this photo of some of my skin tone color practice.  Looks terrible doesn't it.  The reds in the lower shadows look more saturated than they are in real life.  Shadows have been difficult for me and I'm trying to overcome that along with practicing washes.  So I did this incomplete face using transparent red oxide, yellow ochre, azo yellow, quin. pink.  In the lower quadrant i did a wash over the warm shadows with cerulean blue.  One thing I am pleased with, even though it isn't accurate, is the placement of the features.  I did this without sketching first or measuring so when it actually resembles a human I am tickled. 

We had company over the weekend and yesterday I took a break, doing nothing.  I'm really good at that.  Today I had to push myself to even do these washes but once the brush was wet, everything felt right again.  I received an order from Daniel Smith with Bordeaux as a new red for me.  It is rather a magenta color and works great in skin tones.  Now, I need to get serious and do more portraits and glass work.  Just have to overcome that procrastination bug which is fear in disguise. 

6 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

Those are beautiful colors Ann! And I would be tickled about the placement of those features too! :)

IrinaSztukowski said...

Ann, skin is one of the most challenging subjects for me. That's why I probably went to paint more flowers than faces ;)... Flowers are more forgiving.

You did great on the light parts and I feel that depending on how much of the contrast, the shadows might be a little cooler.. But I see a great work in process!

Thank you,
Irina

jyothisethu said...

you have actually given a demo to everybody...
it is interesting...

Fay Akers said...

it looks a little scary like that. Good for you for working out your low points. That means you used constructive criticism on your own art work. I need to do that more often.

sara star said...

For my skin tones I use so many layers, I am scared to try with watercolor since the number of layers you can use is so limited. I really like what you have here, I think it is definitely a foundation for future portrait work.

Ann Buckner said...

Crystal
Irina
jyothisethu
Fay
Sara

Thanks to each of you for your interest and your comments. Irina I appreciate the feedback on the shadow temperature. I'm trying to look very close at the temperatures in both the light and shadow areas and sometimes it gets quite confusing. :)