Saturday, October 30, 2010

Portrait WIP, Conte Pencil


This morning I began a portrait using a black conte pencil.  The paper is bristol vellum which has a slight texture.

I am trying to utilize the approach in Susan Lyon's drawing video which is to mass in the darks and blending areas.  I have been measuring the features but need to measure again. 

In the second photo the nose appears too long.  The third photo shows the nose shortened a bit.  What I am not liking are some of the hard lines and I may be going too dark too quick.  Still not much detail done yet, as I am still massing in the darker areas. 



4 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, this is superb! You are so good!!!

Pat said...

Fantastic work!

RHCarpenter said...

Beautiful work!

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

I don't know if you're going too dark too fast or not but it's working, the result is terrific!