Friday, October 29, 2010

Art Videos & Practice

This one looks spooky too doesn't it -  fitting for Halloween weekend.  Early yesterday I had the chance to view to art videos on artworkshops.tv.  One by watercolorist Mary Whyte and a drawing video by Susan Lyon.  Both are excellent and will view them again as soon as I can. 

The photo above is a quick practice of the technique Susan Lyon uses but please, don't judge her video by this 15 min. practice piece of mine, because she is an excellent artist and instructor.  She begins with the eyes and in the video she used a conte pencil while I used an H pencil.  She takes her time to measure each small area (which I didn't do) and uses a paper towel to blend/smooth areas (which I didn't do).  She also begins with the dark areas using light strokes.  I hope to begin a drawing of my SIL today and will be using a black conte on bristol board vellum. 

On another note, Mom continues to improve.  She is moving easier, is able to play Canasta and is getting a bit grouchy ha ha.  Thank you all for your kind thoughts and well wishes for her. 

5 comments:

Nora Mackin said...

Ann yep a little spooky but not bad either. Will be waiting to see you postings on SIL. I'll have to check out these artists. I also have to go into Charleston to see M Whyte's paintings irl.

Ann Buckner said...

Had to come back and comment, Nora. I am soooo envious of your seeing original work by Mary Whyte. Hope you will share your experience with us on your blog.

RHCarpenter said...

I adore Mary Whyte and would love to see her work in person! Didn't know the other artist you mentioned - will have to find more about her. I like this. It's a big spooky but I'd work up the eyes more and call it done - perhaps leave it looking unfinished and soft like this. You are always learning and working!

jyothisethu said...

beautiful work...
it is nice to see the face blending with the background...
however, i would like to see it progressing to details...

congrats...

Deb Léger said...

I like it, Ann! Looks good. I'm glad your Mom is doing well. Grouchy is a good sign. LOL. Was it the Mary Whyte wc portrait? I was thinking of watching that!