Monday, August 02, 2010

Value Sketch

We are studying values at paintingfriends.com and the first study is from a reference photo taken by one of our members, Ron, of a landscape.  The focal point in the photograph was the boat and its occupants.  I neutralized the photo by bringing the values closer together, so the members could choose which part of the photo would be their focal point.  Hopefully, there will soon be posts by the member sharing their value sketches.  I kept the focal point the same as the photo in this value sketch.  My goal with this sketch was to see how the darks roamed through the landscape, connecting areas and emphasizing the lights. 

4 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

What a great study. I never spend enough time looking at the values. I will have to go over to paintingfriends to follow this.

Crystal Cook said...

Fantastic study. The values are very strong and well defined her. Great work Ann :)

Deb Léger said...

This is really nice, Ann! Will you paint it?

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, Crystal, Deb, thank you all for looking at this value study.

Deb, I am painting it now. :)