Sunday, August 08, 2010

Sunday Chatter

This photo was taken October, 2008, at the Bell Powwow.  This has been in my stack of photos to paint.  As far as painting, look at the photo below to see how ugly a painting can turn.  The dark area on the viewer's right became dull and muddy so I promptly wet it down and removed most of the color. 


I decided to do a 1/4 sheet painting of the same scene and you can see that I have placed the trees by marking the areas with a pale gray color and then layed in a lemon yellow as an underpainting for the areas that have sunlit trees.  I drew the boat and its cast shadow in with transparent yellow oxide, quin. gold and a bit of quin. burnt sienna.  It looks like a child's painting at this stage (sure hope that improves.) 


Today I plan to lay in the darks which is at least 2/3rds of this painting, shaping areas as I go.  Maybe not the best plan but my goal for this painting is to achieve rich, luminous darks and shadows.  Wish me luck.  . 

1 comment:

Deb Léger said...

I think that first attempt was kind of nice, Ann. The tree foliage that you painted had lots of lights in them. I think it could have been really nice. :-)

As for the latest one, I'll wish you the luck you ask for but I know you won't need it. You're soooooo talented! It's going to be awesome!

Will you be starting a painting of the photo you posted?