Friday, August 27, 2010

Red Roses, Problems & More Practice Needed

I began this 1/4 sheet painting this morning and right off, had trouble with getting a smooth flow in the petals.  That means this sheet is going to be used for gradation and more value practice.  Maybe I'm trying to get all the values in, in one fell swoop, instead of layering the values and shades.  The reds are Deep Scarlet (in the darker values), Permanent Red, Quin. Coral and Quin Pink.  Then on the upper petal I used Permanent Red and Sap Green in the darker areas.   

6 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

But this looks beautiful so far - I don't see a problem at all...lovely soft flowing gradations and it looks soft like the petals of a rose already. Gosh, you are hard on yourself!!

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, you are generous with your encouragement, thank you so much. You know how digital cameras work, blending/merging areas, when in real life it may not be that smooth. IRL this looks blotchy to me. This gives me the opportunity though to think about what I did to have it turn out this way, and how I can correct it. Every day is a learning ezperience for me lol.

sara star said...

Getting things right from the beginning makes you feel good about the whole painting. I like to set aside mistakes, and come at them again much later with a fresh mind of how can I use this, rather than combating the whole oh darn I messed up feeling right after it happens.

Chantelle said...

I know that feeling when I'm about to start a artwork and I have a hard getting a perspective or proportion right. It looks nice already.

Ann Buckner said...

Sara, I did exactly that, set it aside for a few hours and then did a bit more work on it.

Chantelle, thank you. Even though it isn't exactly as I would like, I am still painting on it.

IrinaSztukowski said...

The upper petal is the great success. It looks very fresh and flawless.
Thank you,
Irina