Friday, August 27, 2010

Red Roses, Afternoon Update

I set the painting aside for a few hours and began painting again this afternoon.  This time I used a large flat brush, painting in Permanent Red and Quin. Rose then lifted some lights with either a round or a flat brush.  In the dark areas I brushed on Sap Green, let that dry before adding red.  The leaves have Cobalt Blue and Sap Green dropped in a previously wet area.  I'm painting this with the easel tilted so I have to be careful to not get the paint too fluid. 

8 comments:

Betsy Grant said...

Your work is just LOVELY! I appreciate your diligence. I am a classical experimental composer/pianist. I have a blog for artists/creative types. Please visit me at freetospeakblog.blogspot.com

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, this is looking very good. Your reds are very nice and thank you for sharing how you are achieving those nice darks. You are creating one beautiful painting after another!

debwardart said...

Very good start! Have you thought about a yellow (quin. gold??) wash to begin some of the petals - I think that gives a glow. I do love the colors you have chosen for the reds.

Country Mouse Studio said...

wow, truly beautiful!

Nora Mackin said...

I love this one Ann. The colors are beautiful. Good for you using a flat brush. I'll have to try this.

Crystal Cook said...

This is gorgeous Ann. I love how your colors are alwasy so bright and fluid. Your work has so much life and energy that I just love :)

Deb Léger said...

Very nice, Ann! I like how the petals have good separation between them but still look whole as a flower. Does that make sense? I find there IS a smooth flow in the petals.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you all, for each of your special comments. You each have such a unique way of painting and you, Betty, with your music, that I appreciate how you look at and comment on my work.