Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Red Rose Line Drawing & Practice Rose

Sketched a red rose from a photograph, in graphite then used a Sharpie to darken the lines for transfer to watercolor paper.  Do you see the little gray spots at the bottom of the photo?  That is graphite to indicate a shadow area in the leaf.  My plan is to do value studies in red and know what a difficult time I have painting roses, thought this would be the best subject to practice both.

I have a very heavy hand when it comes to painting red and especially painting red roses.  For this practice piece, Terra Verte was painted in the dark areas first, with Holbein Yellow Lemon painted in some of the light areas then allowed to dry.  Permanent Red (Daniel Smith) was painted in the dark and mid-tone areas with quin. coral (Daniel Smith) painted in the lighter values.  Undersea Green & Terra Verte, Yellow Lemon and a bit of red were used to paint the greenery.  Now to get brave and paint the rose shown in the line drawing above, which has been now been transferred to watercolor paper.  First though, I'm going to practice more gradation of reds.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

I think your red rose here is gorgeous! Wishing you good luck on this latest one :)

IrinaSztukowski said...

The practice piece says that you will do wonderful on the big one. Just remember the rose is just like beautiful cabbage ;) and if you slightly squint your eyes it will be just like a ball (the same shadows and lights)
Very good luck to you. I'd love to see the results!
Irina

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, thanks. Wish I could see through your eyes. :)

Irina, thank you and thanks for the tip. I kept thinking of what you said as I painted a petal.

Fay Akers said...

Your rose bud is wonderful. I believe that the large the pedal the more wet on wet you have to do. So that could be the reason for the upper piece. Keep working on, and remember we learn from our mistakes.
:)