Monday, August 30, 2010

Red Rose, Background Work

I worked on the background yesterday and this morning.  Will have to look at the background a bit more because I think it needs more light on some of the leaves. Still have more work to do on the rose, establishing petal separations and more form.   Below is a desaturated photo of the painting that more clearly shows the values.  See what I mean about more light on the leaves?

 As mentioned previously, this is a 1/4 sheet painting (11" x 15") but this photo shows it cropped in closer to the flower, approximately 8 1/2" x 11".  I may increase the length by another inch to give it more of an elongated look. 

3 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

I love how your leaves melt into the bottom background! Your reds are beautiful.

IrinaSztukowski said...

I think if you make space between the leaves more intense the leaves will pop out. With the little highlights on them they will be just fabulous.

I love the Rose; She is so pretty :)

Thank you Ann,
Irina

RHCarpenter said...

You're creating a beautiful thing here, Ann, just keep going...you know what to do. Are you going to show us a stem for the rose?