Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lilacs, Sunday Morning Update

This is where the painting stands this Sunday morning.   The support is a quarter sheet Fabriano Aristico watercolor paper, painted to the edges.  The photo shows it cropped from 11" x 15" size to 9 1/2" x 12 1/2".   I am painting this with the easel raised to about a 60 degree angle so I have to watch for dripping paint if I go too wet.

The first leaf is painted using mixtures of Cobalt Blue, Azo Yellow, Undersea Green, Terra Verte and the purple mixes.  The leaf might be a bit small in relation to the size of the main lilac cluster so will have to look at that again.  There are more leafs to the right of the main lilac cluster with the light bouncing through the leafs. (Should that be leaves instead of leafs?)  Actually, even if it is wrong I prefer leafs lol.   Hope I can really portray the light and shadow play to create a nice flow through the painting.  All fun, all challenging, which is why I love to paint. 

7 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

great start. this is gonna be a beautiful painting.
Thanks for your comment on my art blog. I am through with a cast but with the crushed and rebuilt heel I may never wear cowboy boots again. Those things are not very comfortble to wear anyway.

Deb Léger said...

Wow, this one is going to be gorgeous, too. I love how you're detailing the lilac petals!

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is a very challenging cluster of flower petals to paint, but it is looking great. I love the colors and the delicate approach that you are using.

The Notorious J.O.E. said...

Very beautiful. I really enjoy seeing the development.

Country Mouse Studio said...

can't wait to see the finished picture, it's nice to watch the progression

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks all of you for staying with this.

Gary, happy to hear the cast is gone.

Carol, I'm looking forward to seeing the finish too. No doubt you know how it is when one works on something for so long that after awhile it is hard to look at a painting with a fresh view.

Crystal Cook said...

Gorgeous work Ann, I love the colors mingling in the leaves. ANd the delicate lilacs are beautiful!