Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sunflowers, WIP


This painting is based on sunflowers that were growing near an old house in town.  They were taller than I am and looked so beautiful moving in the slight breeze.  This photo shows the initial lay in of color using Antwerp Blue, Daniel Smith & Holbein Naples Yellow, Quin. Burnt Orange, and Quin. Magenta.  The reason for the two brands of Naples yellow is that Holbein Naples Yellow is a truer yellow where Daniel Smith's leans toward red.  The difference in the two brands can be seen in lower large flower. 

6 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, this already looks awesome! This is going to be gorgeous!

Pat said...

Very good start!
Looking forward to seeing this progress xx

Nora Mackin said...

Ann can't wait to see this done.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Christiane, Nora and Pat. I like this first stage better than I do the stage where the painting is now. Not sure the painting is salvageable but will continue on for awhile to see if it can be rescued. Of course there is always acrylics to the rescue ha ha.

Country Mouse Studio said...

I agree, I can't wait to see it.

RHCarpenter said...

This is lovely and light - and I didn't know that about the Naples Yellows (I use DS only, but don't use the opaque yellows much at all). I hope you share the next stage, even if you don't like it - I bet it's fine and you're just being too critical of your work!!