Monday, May 03, 2010

White Hawk III, Initial Stage

Last night I wet the front and back of a quarter sheet Fabriano Aristico watercolor paper - dropped in cobalt blue, yellow ochre, quin. violet and viridian.  Giving in to temptation, I just had to place my brush on the paper and ended up with mud along the left side of his face.  The colors are a bit more vibrant than it is showing in the photo. 

Today I traced White Hawk's face onto the paper and then wet areas, dropping in lemon yellow, indian red, more viridian and quin. burnt orange.  Indian Red is an opaque paint so it was watered down a lot before placing it on the left side of his face and painting over some of the yellow on the right side.  More viridian and quin. violet was also added to the muddy area on the left cheek.  The empty space for the eyes looks rather spooky doesn't it.    Will this experiment work out?  I won't know until more work is done but it sure has been fun dropping in color to see what happens. 

6 comments:

hwfarber said...

I love this as is--it looks like a head within a head. How do you drop colors?

Cindi said...

wow chickie look at you go!!! this one is going to be colorful..how exciting!!! are you having fun??? hurry up and catch up with me... i feel like the lone ranger at 8 trys already!!! LOL

RHCarpenter said...

I love how bold you are being with the colors and values! Looking forward to the finish of this one - I think it will be the best because it already has such "heart" to it - the hand and mind of the artist can be seen in your choices.

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Hi Ann...owww..what a woderful color mixing, I love it, I'll be back to check the next steps!

mollie jones said...

Hi Ann...I love the strong color mixing you're getting. Go ahead and let's see what you do.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks, Hallie. To answer your question, while the paper is fairly soaking wet I touch the paper with a brush loaded with paint, or I use my fingers to squeeze the paint loaded brush beginning at the ferrule and moving down, dropping paint onto the paper. If the paint isn't moving enough I will spray it and tilt the board in different directions to get it to move.

Ha ha, Cindi, I will never catch up with you.

Thanks Rhonda but I blew it with this one. Will give it another try though. :)

Fabio, thanks for visiting. Pleased you enjoyed the colors.

Hi Mollie, ruined this painting but will try to resurrect it with some light washes of acrylic.