Sunday, May 16, 2010

Iris, Stage 1

This iris watercolor painting was begun today on a quarter sheet Arches cold press paper, using a photo reference from April, 2009.  The gray blobs is the Pebeo Drawing Gum.  So far the paints used are Diox. Purple, Ultramarine Violet, Quin. Burnt Orange, Sap Green, Cobalt Green, Fr. Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Ochre and Permanent Alizarin Crimson. 

I have been waiting on the paper to dry in the first flower instead of using a hair dryer, before painting areas next to the wet ones. This also gives me time to step back and look at what has been done. 

3 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, what an excellent start...and fast too! I have never painted an iris...everyone says that it is such a difficult flower to paint. I will be watching your progress with great interest. This should be simply beautiful.

Deb Léger said...

Can't wait to see this one progress, Ann! I can tell it's going to be gorgeous! Great start. A quarter sheet is a nice size, too. Love your colour choices.

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, thank you. Hope I can do the flower justice. They are one of my favorites.

Deb, thank you too. 1/4 sheet is a good size since I've painted quite small in the last several months. Feels good to have a bit of space. :) I'm tickled you are home from your trip.