Sunday, April 25, 2010

White Hawk, Stage 1

I began the painting of White Hawk yesterday and am taking it very slow.  So far I haven't used the hair dryer but will because I don't want to wait on the paper to dry. 

The shadow side of the face is comprised of Transparent Red Oxide (TRO) and Transparent Yellow Oxide (TYO).  The areas receiving light have been painted with Perm Alizarin Crimson and Lemon Yellow.  Shadow purples are mixed with Cobalt Blue and the reds, while the the shadow greens are Cobalt Blue and yellows.  I am hoping to increase the resemblance to White Hawk but right now the face looks a little long and narrow.  The eyes have been started with a layer of TYO and TRO. 

When I saturated the photo of White Hawk I could see lots of blues, purples and reds in his hair.  Masking fluid was used to retain some lights before adding the color.  Now the masking fluid has been removed so I can look at the shape and light placement in the hair.  Before going darker with the hair, masking fluid will be applied again. 

2 comments:

Country Mouse Studio said...

You have a lot more patience than I, I look forward to seeing the end result.

Nora Mackin said...

Good going so far in this one Ann