Friday, April 02, 2010

How Do You Paint . . .??? Demo

The Painting Friends online art group is running a thread, "How Do You Paint . . . ????", where some of the members have volunteered to do a demo based on requests from other members.   This is the beginning of a demo requested by Cindi to show her how the Cuties (oranges) painting was done. This painting, on Arches 140lb. watercolor paper, is from a reference photo taken at the time the original painting was done.

I can't reproduce the steps of the  original painting or any other painting to be honest, because each painting is different even if it is the same subject.  The original painting was painted from life and initially begun as a Twenty Minute Challenge painting. Instead of stopping at 20 minutes, I continued to paint the original painting until I felt it was finished.  Painting from life and within a time frame adds a freshness that is hard to find when painting from a photograph unless one is very, very good.

For the beginning of this painting, I wet the paper except in the areas where I wanted white.  I glazed a cool Permanent Alizarin Crimson over Lemon Yellow in the light and warm Quin. Coral over New Gamboge in the shadows.  As the paint neared the white area the edges were softened.



3 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ann, I have been admiring your banner with the oranges. It's great to see how you painted these.

RHCarpenter said...

I've gotta get more involved with Painting Friends - you are tempting me too much (maybe now that SWAP is almost done)...

Ann Buckner said...

Christiane, the method in this new demo is a bit different than that used for the original cutie oranges in that the first one was painted from life and I did it very quick. This second painting has more glazes and used misket on it. Thanks for taking the time to see this demo.

Rhonda, it would be great to see you at PF. Can I tempt you even more to visit more lol.