Monday, March 15, 2010

Ethiopian Child, Layers Update

As you can see the mouth is still too low and the paper is now overworked.  So as soon as my order of paper arrives I will try this again. 

Rhonda asked, ". . . do you not draw it on the wc paper exactly as you want it and then paint it? I would think it would be difficult and frustrating to try to adjust in watercolors after you have the features in? Maybe that's just me and I don't know how to adjust a portrait in watercolors - any tips for us?"

Using my sketch, I transferred it to tracing paper then rubbed graphite on the back of the lines then transferred the sketch to watercolor paper by going over the lines on front of the tracing paper, again.  The lines on the watercolor paper were not dark so I did tend to lose my way in the different facial areas.  I only put enough lines in for general placement of the features.  I also think I used too much water and not enough paint, in some instances.  I did make sure my paper was dry though between layers. 

It is difficult to correct in watercolor without marring the paper - in this painting I used burnt sienna and quin. burnt sienna so they lifted pretty well.  It is the darker areas where ultramarine blue and perm. alizarin crimson were used that didn't lift well when I wanted to correct shapes. 

I'm not sure if this answers your questions fully, Rhonda.  For me, every painting is different but I do know the next one I will paint the eyes first which is usually how I begin a drawing. 

4 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Thanks, Ann, that does answer my question and I have to say there is a lot to love about this one, in spite of the problems with the pigments = that hair is wonderful and I know just how it's shaped, and her eyes look sad and wistful, and her mouth looks a bit like she's wondering just what you're looking at...I hope you do this again and I'll be watching - perhaps give us a step-by-step starting with the eyes? I know that's scary, in case it doesn't turn out, but you could take pics as you go and then if it works, just post a few at a time!

Dianne Mize said...

Hi Ann. I have finally begun to visit my favorite blogs again. You're captured an intriguing expression in this little portrait. Bravo.

Crystal Cook said...

This is very nicely done, I paint watercolor portraits too so I can relate to what your talking about here :) There is a lot of good going on here I really like the eyes, and your sketch is just lovely.

I just found your blog and I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, thanks for your interest in this painting and your comments. I always take photos along the way because looking at them on the computer is a good way to get a fresh view. The areas that need correcting really show up on the screen lol.

Dianne, so good to hear from you - over the past months you have been on my mind frequently. I was so saddened to read of your loss - my heart hurt for you. Will go to your blog to see what you are up to now.

Crystal, thank you so much for visiting this blog. I visited your blog and love your work. The portrait you are working on is just beautiful.